Faith, Politics and Other Stuff

"Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart." Ps 34:4

Monday, December 21, 2009

Memory of Jean Spencer

When I was a very young child, possibly pre-school, we had a very special neighbor down on north 17th Street in Woodward, Oklahoma. Her name was Jean Spencer and she had four (4) very ornery boys that I kind of tagged behind and observed their activities.

Anyway, this isn't about the four boys it's about their mother. She called me to her porch one day and gave me a small Christmas gift that I think of every year at Christmas time. It was a mouse trap that was decorated in silver. It was trimmed in lace and the entire thing was painted silver. She gave me a little talk of which all I remember is that every Christmas tree must have a mouse trap.

That mouse trap has long since disappeared but the sentiment has remained with me all these years.

This is one of my earliest memories.