Faith, Politics and Other Stuff

"Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart." Ps 34:4

Monday, December 21, 2009

Radiation

Several people have inquired about the radiation that I receive for cancer lesions.

I have just started my second round of radiation. The first time was for a spot on my back. This time it is for lesions on a left rib. I receive radiation from the front for one lesion and from the back for the other. The type of radiation I receive isn't/hasn't been painful at all. As a matter of fact, after a few treatments the paid from the lesions begins to ease. Each "shot" takes about 30-40 seconds. It takes me much longer to get my shirt off and get on the table than it does for both "shots" combined.

I am fortunate that the @Kansas City Cancer Center has the type of equipment that I can lie on my back, have x-rays and have both "shots" (front and back) without moving. The machine does all the moving around me to get to the lesions.

During all the treatments that I have had since diagnosis the only thing that has been painful was during the actual stem cell transplants (my own stem cells). Prior to the transplant I received "high dose chemo." It kills all the fast growing cells like hair follicles and the cells in the mouth and esophagus. As a result you lose your hair and develop sores in your mouth and esophagus. The sores are awful! They hurt! They hurt when you breath or swallow. Pain pills only knock you out and you are still aware your mouth and esophagus is hurting. The only thing that helps is gargling salt water about 3 dozen time each day until they go away which takes 3 days to a week (or longer if you don't gargle).

Just thought I would share some of the information with you. Thank each of you for all the prayers you send my way.