Faith, Politics and Other Stuff

"Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart." Ps 34:4

Monday, November 6, 2006

A Bend In The Road - Part 2

Some of the things David Jeremiah does in the book is use the stories of others who have gone through live changing experiences. One of those people that shares his story is a surgeon named Dr. John Hovey. Dr. Hovey contracted Parkinson's disease. The following is some of what he shared in his story.

"Was my identity as a doctor more important than my identity as His disciple?"

"Since my retirement... the Lord has been more than faithful in showing me that His grace is sufficient. He has allowed me to identify with Jesus in the practical joy of being a carpenter and to develop a more disciplined study of His Word. He has allowed me to be availalbe to assist the many people He puts in my path. He has given me the joy of increasing my participation in church activities and of giving more of the Lord's money back to him."

"This has been the bottom line for me: more time with the Lord, more time with His Word, and more time with my wife and family. Would you believe it if I told you that I've come to be truly thankful for Parkinson's disease? It's the truth." p. 57

"Someone said the the problem with life is that it's so daily." p. 90"

"...Lord, out the light back in my eyes." Isn't that a fascinating thing to put in our prayers? Put the light back in my eyes."

(King)"David says, "O Lord, I have no hope. Please see me and hear me---and put the light back in my eyes." What a moving prayer this is."
"He addresses his Lord as Jehovah Elohim."

"Jehovah reflects God's promises; Elohim reflects God's power."p. 95

"We can find tremendous hope of victory in the midst of the deepest pits life can drop us into. But it's no simple process. There isn't a handy, guaranteed formula for hope in the midst of suffering. It takes absolute, fall-on-your-face humility and genuine, gut-wrenchingly honest prayer." p. 96

No comments: