Faith, Politics and Other Stuff

"Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart." Ps 34:4

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Three Kinds of Faith

"The testing of your faith produces patience." James 1:3

"Dwight L. Moody was fond of pointing out that there are three kinds of faith in Jesus Christ: struggling faith, which is like a man floundering and fearful in deep water; clinging faith, which is like a man hanging to the side of a boat; and resting faith, which finds a man safe inside the boat - strong and secure enough to reach out his hand to help someone else." From Hope for Each Day; Words of Wisdom and Faith by Billy Graham, October 24.

This really hit home with me. I have been in all three positions and all three positions multiple times. I think there is a finality to the position when you are diagnosed with cancer. For me, I quickly went from struggling to clinging to resting and this time, I think (and pray) I am in resting faith permanently.

I am certainly more aware of the presence of God with me and depend on him for more comfort and guidance in my meager little life. I pray that if you are struggling or clinging, you, too, will find resting faith. It doesn't have to be elusive if you will just accept that Jesus loves you and was crucified for your sins.

No comments: