Faith, Politics and Other Stuff

"Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart." Ps 34:4

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Treatment for Cancer Survivors

Tonight on ABC World News there was a report that doctors are discovering that cancer survivors need medical treatment beyond the obvious chemotherapy, tumors, loss of hair, etc. Most cancer survivors need psychological treatment as well. The report stated that of the 20 largest cancer treatment centers only 8 regularly require psychological treatment before, during and after standard treatment.

While going through my treatments leading up to and following my stem cell transplants I was fortunate to be in a program that provided psychological treatment for me and my wife. I was also fortunate that my counselor and I "meshed" quickly. By the way, a "cancer survivor" is any person who has been diagnosed with cancer and is still alive. It has nothing to do with being cured or in remission. That is one of the things I learned during counseling.

One of the things that bothered me the most once I was diagnosed was that so many of my close friends seem to abandon me. Of course, they didn't but in a state of "sickness" it was easy to convince myself of it. I actually found that I had a lot more friends than I ever knew. I got cards and emails from people I never dreamed cared for me. I found out that the world has a lot of wonderful people that care.

One of the most pleasing and comforting aspects was the number of people who said they were praying for me. Individual and churches all over the country were praying and there were many days that that knowledge was a tremendous comfort to my sometimes days of "aloneness," even when I was surrounded by family.

"Jesus answered them, “Do you now believe? Indeed the hour is coming, yes, has now come, that you will be scattered, each to his own, and will leave Me alone. And yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me. These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”" John 16:31-33 (New King James Version) {emphasis added}

No comments: