Faith, Politics and Other Stuff

"Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart." Ps 34:4

Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Last Lecture

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch, Ph.D. with Jeffrey Zaslow is one of the most meaningful books I have ever read. I posted about Ranimagedy Pausch and the video The Last Lecture last year. It is not necessary to watch the video before enjoying this book but you certainly should take the time to watch it at some point.

Professor Pausch has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and after leaving his position at Carnegie Mellon University he was invited back to give his last lecture which is a tradition. Unfortunately, the last lecture in his case had a special meaning.

This book is NOT a transcript of The Last Lecture video so don't think you can get it all from the "movie." There are no great revelations in this book but a lot of reminders pertaining to what we should remember, what made us who we are, what life is all about, and how we all want to be remembered. It also includes much about business, customer service, honesty and apologizing, sincerely. It is not a sad book but a celebration of life, specifically Professor Pausch's, but it could be any of our life's.

Maybe I feel a special connection to this book because Professor Pausch and I share a common factor... terminal cancer. Randy, nor I, nor any terminally ill survivor wants sympathy for the sake of our illness. Like most people we are looking for the way we can make a difference in our family's and friends' lives and be remembered in this world for something other than taking up space.

I've had a lot of thoughts and feelings about having cancer that I've been unable to explain. I think I found that explanation in this book and it is a great quote:

"Many cancer patients say their illness gives them a new and deeper appreciation for life. Some even say they are grateful for their disease. I have no such gratitude for my cancer, although I'm certainly grateful for having advance notice of my death."

Take a few hours and read this book!

Professor Pausch's web site is: www.thelastlecture.com.

Additional web sites mentioned in the book: The Entertainment Technology Center, www.etc.cmu.edu; the Alice project, www.alice.org.

No comments: