Faith, Politics and Other Stuff

"Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart." Ps 34:4

Friday, May 16, 2008

The Person and Work of the Holy Spirit

The Person and Work of the Holy Spirit by Dr. R. A. Torrey is a recommended reading from Back to the Bible located in Lincoln, Nebraska.image The original copyright of the book is 1910. Dr. Torrey was a late 19th, early 20th century teacher, pastor and lecturer. He received his A.B. and B.D. from Yale University and also studied in Leipsig, Germany. He served as superintendent of city missions in Minneapolis and later served as superintendent of Moody Bible Institute.

I found this book to be timeless and extraordinarily applicable to today's world. I didn't feel it was an "easy" or "quick" read but required me to re-read and study some passages to better understand explanations of some Bible verses. I found a highlighter was useful to have within reach. This is really a "teaching" book and required (at least from me) some re-reading of passages and some contemplation. In addition, I think I will need to re-read it in a few months.

Although I recommend this book be prepared for some challenges and very thought provoking ideas. It is an excellent explanation of the necessity of the Holy Spirit in your life and how to obtain it.

No comments: